Receive a fax manually
When you are on the phone, the person you are speaking with can send you a fax
while you are still connected. This is referred to as manual faxing. Use the instructions
in this section to receive a manual fax.
NOTE: You can pick up the handset to talk or listen for fax tones.
Receive a fax
You can receive faxes manually from a phone that is directly connected to the device
(on the 2-EXT port) or that is on the same phone line, but not directly connected to the
To receive a fax manually
1. Make sure the device is turned on and you have paper loaded in the input tray.
2. Remove any originals from the document feeder tray.
NOTE: The automatic document feeder must be empty to receive a fax. If
there are documents in the document feeder, then receiving the fax will be
3. Do one of the following:
Turn off Auto Answer.
Set Rings to Answer to a high number.
4. If you are currently on the phone with the sender, instruct the sender to press Start
on their fax machine.
5. When you hear fax tones from a sending fax machine, do the following:
a. Press START FAX Black or START FAX Color on the device control panel.
b. When prompted, select Fax Receive.
NOTE: Depending on your country/region, the device might receive the fax
automatically when you hear fax tones from the sending fax machine.
6. After the device begins to receive the fax, you can hang up the phone or remain on
the line. The phone line is silent during fax transmission.