Set the number of rings before answering
If you turn on the Auto Answer setting, you can specify how many rings occur before
incoming calls are automatically answered.
The Rings to Answer setting is important if you have an answering machine on the
same phone line and you want the answering machine to answer the phone before the
device does. The number of rings to answer for the device should be greater than the
number of rings to answer for the answering machine so that the incoming call will be
answered by the answering machine before the device answers.
For example, set your answering machine to a low number of rings and the device to
answer in the maximum number of rings. (The maximum number of rings varies by
country/region.) In this setup, the answering machine answers the call and the device
monitors the line. If the device detects fax tones, it receives the fax. If the call is a
voice call, the answering machine records the incoming message.
To set the number of rings before answering via the device control panel
1. Press Setup.
2. Select Basic Fax Setup, and then select Rings to Answer.
Change fax settings
3. Enter the appropriate number of rings by using the keypad, or press the left or right
arrow button to change the number of rings.
4. Press OK to accept the setting.
To set the number of rings before answering via the embedded Web server
1. Open the embedded Web server, click the Settings tab, click Basic Fax Setup in
the left pane.
2. Select a number in the Rings-to-answer drop-down menu in the Other Basic Fax